Mr Joseph Bayliss was the first teacher to teach at the school.
Initially the school operated in a local church hall, while the first permanent building was built on land donated by Patrick Hill Osborne.
The land was on the Princes Highway and is now the site of the Dapto TAFE campus. The enrolment at the time was 38 children.
The new permanent school building was opened on 2nd April 1877.
It cost £1 492
As Dapto grew demand for a new school at a more central site was frequently discussed. A site on the corner of Byamee & Moombara Sts was acquired in 1905 but local economic conditions meant that building of the new school did not begin until 1927 and was finally occupied on 11th June 1928. It consisted of 3 classrooms, an office and storeroom and cost £2 806.
Rapid growth of population in the West Dapto/Horsley area in the late 1990’s & early 2000’s led to demand for Dapto Public School to once again move to a place more central for its children and parents. On 21st August 2003 then Education Minister Andrew Refshauge approved the relocation of Dapto Public School to Sierra Drive, Horsley. The new school was occupied in late January 2004.
Now in its fourth “home” and with current enrolments of over 600 students, Dapto Public School is an example of quality public education.
It reflects the values of its community and encourages every child to seek the best within them.
"We Work as a Team"
CLICK on the Links below to view Dapto Public Schools' Archives: